Saturday 20 July 2013

Gold Coast Marathon

Friday 5th July, Sam, Will and myself headed to the Gold Coast for the first time. Jack drove us to the airport and we flew with Tiger Airways (cheapest airline over here).... never again! Two hours delayed going, 3 hours delayed coming back!

Hired a very nice car at the airport and drove to Southport where our apartment was. Lots of roadworks and traffic very slow since they are putting in a new train system ready for the Commonwealth Games in a few years time.

Saturday morning I woke early and watched the 10k runners head past our balcony (we were 10 mins walk from the Start/Finish line). When the Boys finally awoke, we spent the day at Wet and Wild water park. The Boys had great fun on all the big slides and I relaxed on a lounger resting my legs for the next day.

The marathon started at 7.20am on Sunday and weather conditions were perfect - 11 degrees to start with and 20 degrees by the end. I started with the pacer who was to bring you in at a race time of 3:45 hrs and I managed to stay with him till 26km. Then my quads started to hurt because I had never run that far before at a 5.15km average pace. So I slipped back a bit but still managed to finish in 3:50:55 hrs which I was so pleased with since my goal was to come in at 4 hours. I was more pleased with the fact that I came 28th/201 in my age group!

In the afternoon we drove the short distance to Seaworld and went on a couple of rides, saw a couple of shows before returning back to the apartment. We met my friend Nicole and her family for dinner in the evening to celebrate our triumphs! Then Sam and I stayed up till 3am to watch Andy Murray win his first Wimbledon title - very nerve-wracking!

The next couple of days we spent at Dreamworld and Movieworld doing some scary rides. Not quite the same as Florida but we had lots of fun:)

No comments:

Post a Comment